Financial Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Saturday, Mar 16, 2002

Port Info

Group Sites

Industry & Economy - Foreign Direct Investment
Marketing - Retailing

Corporates split over FDI in retail trade

Our Bureau

NEW DELHI, March 15

THE Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) survey on FDI in retail trade reveals that the corporate sector is split over the issue.

The survey observed that while the big retailers are in favour of entry of FDI into retail trade, the small retailers are strongly opposed to it.

While small retailers are strongly against entry of FDI in retail, 88 per cent of the big retailers are in favour of entry of FDI, leaving 12 per cent of the respondents from big retail trade not in favour of FDI in their segment. These respondents, however, welcomed FDI with a 26 per cent sectoral cap.

Almost half of those (50 per cent) who support entry of FDI favour a no-holds-barred 100 per cent permission for FDI in retail trade. About 36 per cent of these respondents, however, prefer a more cautious approach and would like a ceiling of 49 per cent. Remaining 14 per cent will like the cap to go up to 51 per cent, the survey said.

On the issue whether restrictive conditions be imposed if FDI in retail were allowed 63 per cent responded in the affirmative. While remaining 37 per cent did not want any such conditions.

The survey was conducted among the big retailers including small developers as well as with a cross section of small retailers in the country, FICCI said. Among the big names who responded to the survey were: Ebony, ITC, Life Style, Arcus, McDonald, Pall Mall, Ansal Plaza, Saregama and Arvinds.

Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

Stories in this Section
I-T rapped for slips in cement co assessments

$100-m IBRD aid for projects to push economic reforms
Each panchayat in TN to have a big industry: CM
Post-reforms, job growth sharply down, says study
Kerala Govt liabilities on the rise
NGOs take up wasteland regeneration
Bengal tanners ready pollution control plan
Brazilian province says Ciao! to Kerala
Govt reviews crude oil price rise
OIDB funding for geochemical project
KPCL begins work on Almatti project
REC, IDBI to fund small power projects
Govt move on SSI subsidy dues
Tyre output
Water crisis grips Karnataka districts
CII for community-based water conservation effort
Bangalore pubs go to sleep early
Primary education in AP to be made compulsory, free
RASET teams up with US varsity
Will Budget cement construction?
Heritage buildings vanish as Bangalore goes hi-tech
`Realty can contribute 2% of GDP growth'
W. Australia eyeing mining prospects
IDBI plans consortium for film financing
`Banks not keen on lending for films'
Fears over Domestic Violence Bill allayed
Options to sweeten AI, IA sell-off
Sell-off, dampener for Tide Water Oil?
Transfer of tribal land -- AG's opinion sought on Sponge Iron divestment
Corporates split over FDI in retail trade
`HR is the key to success'
Hyderabad Engagements
Kochi/Thiruvananthapuram Engagements
Chennai Engagements
Entertainment sector growth pegged lower
Tax base wider; but little change in mop-up: CAG
Revised import norms for inputs irk soap sector
Birds of passage

The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | Home |

Copyright 2002, The Hindu Business Line. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line