Financial Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002

Port Info

Group Sites

Corporate - Alliances & Joint Ventures

SWC pact with New India Breweries

Our Bureau

NEW DELHI, March 19

THE Rs 1,300-crore alcoholic beverages company, Shaw Wallace & Company, has inked a joint venture project as well as entered into a lease arrangement for additional capacity to cater to the growing demand across markets.

The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with New India Breweries envisages the setting up of a 1.2-million-case joint venture brewery near Jammu. The Rs 20-crore unit is expected to go on stream by March 2003. And while Shaw Wallace would hold 51 per cent in the joint venture, the remaining 49 per cent would be held by the Jammu-based New India group, according to a company communique.

The venture will make the Jammu facility Shaw Wallace's 24th brewing unit in the country and help meet the increasing demand for beer brands in India and abroad.

Lease arrangement: The alcoholic beverages major also entered into an exclusive lease arrangement with Winsome Breweries, Behror, Rajasthan. Through this arrangement, Shaw Wallace will be able to use the two million case per annum capacity of the brewery to exclusively bottle its brands for the northern markets.

While Shaw Wallace has seven fully-owned units, it has gone into contract manufacturing with 11 breweries and one in Nepal. Besides Jammu, the company is setting up four greenfield units which are under various stages of completion. At an investment of Rs 100 crore, the breweries are coming up at Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, West Bengal and Goa.

Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

Stories in this Section
Reliance hikes polymer prices

Alfa Laval arm to make butterfly valves soon
Pref allotment: JIL EGM on March 21
Ban on Bajoria unjustified: SAT
Krishna Bhagya bonds issue for Rs 350 cr
3 Aurobindo Pharma directors step down
Consolidation among MFs: Time to tread cautiously
Bharti picks up Telia stake for $60 m
Templeton, 2nd largest
Brindavan open to picking up stake in Coca-Cola
NextLinx plans to invest $10 m in Indian operations
Brindavan Beverages invests Rs 6.5 cr in new PET line
FDA clearance for Ranbaxy's Midazolam syrup
3 Taiwan cos plan Rs 876-cr display tube unit in Rajasthan
SWC pact with New India Breweries
Tata SSL scouting for more global tie-ups
`Ador Powertron has no immediate plans for IPO'
`Keep to the core to sustain success'
BIFR to hear Jessop on April 30
Revised plan for Trayons revival
HPL eyes Rs 2,500-cr turnover
Cooper Bussman bullish on exports
Aventis CropScience sales up 95%
Loyola institute award for IOC
Award for Kale
Business Ethics award for N. Ram
New KSIPTC head

The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | Home |

Copyright 2002, The Hindu Business Line. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line