Financial Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Thursday, June 06, 2002
Markets (June 5)
BL 2501126.57 (+19.50)
BSE Sensex3255.52 (+63.52)
S&P CNX Nifty1064.20 (+18.80)
Dollar (Buy/Sell)48.98/49.11
Gold Std (10 gm)5400 (-40)

Port Info


Group Sites



Good-bye ROI, hello EVA
ON May 2, Mr B. Muthuraman, Managing Director, Tata Steel, unveiled the company's "Vision 2007" statement, the highlight of which was the company's move towards becoming an economic value-adding company within the next five years. Does this mean ... More


Tackling evasion
IT IS ABOUT a week since the Finance Minister, Mr Yashwant Sinha, put the Income-Tax Department on notice and expressed concern about the low tax collections. And palpable results are audible, if not visible. An analysis by the Central Board of ... More


Before cracks become chasms
THEY do everything bigger in Texas — even the bankruptcies. Enron's crash has demonstrated to the markets that size is no impediment to failure. And, more significantly, it shows that the presence of hotshot auditors is no guarantee that ... More

Sense of proportion
CONSIDER a scenario where a company has five directors and Group A has 51 per cent of the shares and Group B the remaining 49 per cent. In the absence of a system of proportional representation, all the five directors can be the nominees of Group ... More

Miffed member
THERE is a mail in my inbox from a reader, Mr S. Natarajan of Bangalore. He has cited at least three instances that merit the attention of the CA Institute. In brief, these relate to the language of fee reminder notice, empanelment for bank ... More


US throws spanner in Doha Round
THE BUSH Administration does not practise what it preaches. Washington under successive administrations has flouted multilateral rules and discipline at will, because it has regards itself as being above all nations, which can dictate ... More


IT-enabled services market -- Unlimited opportunities lie ahead
THE information technology enabled services (ITeSs) market is emerging as a key business opportunity for the export-driven IT software and services segment. Nasscom (National Association of Software and Service Companies) projects global ... More


  • Tamarind patent
  • UTI bail-out
    Comments & Letters to the Editor to:
    Subscribe to: Business Line
  • Top Stories
    Eco-savvy women's self-help groups

    Margin money for soya oil trading may be hiked

    Patents Bill needs surgery, say pharma MNCs

    ORG pegs BPL on top; LG differs

    Steps to check money laundering

    Chennai Container Terminal issue -- Ministry stays clear of P&O-TAMP face-off

    `Dramatic turnaround' for Tata Engg in Q4

    In Depth
    Gender Justice
    Simple Economics
    Guide to derivatives

    Looking back
    May. 26-Jun. 1
    Challenges before the Railways

    `Counter religious divide with economic progress' -- Mr Abraham Koshy, IIM, Ahmedabad

    Water privatisation -- Torrent of trouble

    Why India lags in wealth generation

    Prepaying external debt: Quite necessary

    The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
    Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | Home |

    Copyright 2002, The Hindu Business Line. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line