Financial Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002

Port Info

Group Sites

Industry & Economy - Foreign Direct Investment

Karnataka ranked 4th in attracting FDI

Our Bureau


KARNATAKA has emerged as the fourth-favourite foreign direct investment (FDI) destination since India opened its doors to foreign capital for enterprises in 1991.

The State managed to attract Rs 21,945 crore till June 2002 as foreign direct investments and cleared 1,973 projects, according to data available with the Union Finance Ministry.

However, Karnataka lags at 7.8 per cent share in the national pie behind Maharashtra, Delhi and Tamil Nadu. The top five destinations, including Gujarat accounted for 52 per cent of the total FDI inflow while the remaining 48 per cent was thinly distributed over the rest of the States.

The Karnataka Government under its twin investment proposal clearing agencies, the High Level Committee and single-window agency Udyog Mitra expects to sustain the momentum in attracting investments. The Udyog Mitra itself sanctioned small and medium projects totalling Rs 2,000 crore in the April-June quarter of the current financial year, Government officials said here.

"We are hopeful of a sustained momentum in investment flow despite a general downturn in the economy," a Government official, who did not wish to be named, said. The Udyog Mitra cleared projects worth Rs 10,000 crore in the last financial year. Almost 60 per cent of the total cleared projects have started taking shape, he added.

Investment proposals in the automobiles, electronics, pharmaceuticals and food processing sectors currently dominate the list, the official said. Infrastructure for information technology seems to have taken a backseat as the sector is currently in doldrums trailing a cramped US market.

Since the equities market remains depressed, there is not much public money flowing into the market, the official said. Lenders are also shying away from financing heavy projects following fears of adding on bad-loans to their balance sheets.

Though the momentum of investment is sustained in the small and medium industries, there is hardly any upward tick in large investments in the State. It may be recalled that only 3.13 per cent of projects sanctioned in the Global Investors Meet in 2000 have been commissioned.

Send this article to Friends by E-Mail
Comment on this article to

Stories in this Section
Kerala lawyers protest hike in court fees

Steel, cement drive core sector growth in April-Nov
Rs 542-cr budget for Hyderabad council
Ecological heritage Web site launched
A paradox of poverty and plenty
TN plans second agri export zone
Vigilance fears overdone, CVC tells PSE chiefs
Pharmexcil to function from early 2003
State Govt may backtrack on MSEB trifurcation
Karnataka textile policy soon
PM's remarks on SSIs hailed
Chennai Metro Water plans tax-free bonds
No decision yet on Kochi water supply scheme
RMG David to break ground in `promising' medium radio
Prasar Bharati to run campaign on IRDA role
Rush of cars coming to drive you crazy
CII hails Naresh Chandra Panel suggestions
`50,000 looms target by 2004 unlikely'
`Biotech an effective tool in controlling pollution'
India eyes 8 pc of biotech market share
Science Congress promises something for everyone
Karnataka ranked 4th in attracting FDI
Great Eastern among 22 FDI plans okayed
Despite claims, RIDF is a flop
Corporation Bank opens ATM
`Economics crucial to diplomacy'
Govt mulls ocean freight subsidy on sugar exports
War of the roses hurts exporters
Promotion council for SEZs, EOUs
When will we have e-democracy?

The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | Home |

Copyright 2002, The Hindu Business Line. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line