'It has been found that in very rare cases, the hairdryer can overheat when left plugged into the electrical connection.'
Dutch consumer electronics firm Philips today said it is recalling 95,000 of its hair dryer units in India due to a potential hazard to customers caused by overheating when left plugged into an electric socket.
The company said it is recalling two foldable hair dryer models — HP4931 and HP 4940 — sold in India between September, 2008, and February, 2011.
“It has been found that in very rare cases, the hairdryer can overheat when left plugged into the electrical connection. This poses a potential hazard, even when the appliance is switched off and not in use,” Philips said in a public announcement.
The company, however, said the risk for consumers is very low and no safety incidents have been reported in India.
“This is a precautionary recall that underlines Philips’ commitment as a global leader in hair care appliances,” it added.
At present, Philips sells five hair dryer models in India. This is the first ever recall in India for Philips in any of its product categories.
The company has been intensifying its marketing initiatives and ramping up its personal care range in India in recent times.