The Central Bureau of Investigation has removed its lead prosecutor in the 2G case after he was allegedly caught in a taped conversation discussing prosecution strategy with one of the high-profile accused Sanjay Chandra, Managing Director of Unitech. 

According to a report by TV news channel the CBI suspects its own prosecutor of aiding the accused. The CBI has registered a Preliminary Enquiry report, which names the lead 2G prosecutor AK Singh. The CBI Preliminary Enquiry Report also names Unitech MD Sanjay Chandra, according to CNN IBN. 

The suspected voice on the tape, played out by the TV news channel, said to been recorded in September last year, is detailing a three-judge Supreme Court judgement which could be used as a reference in the legal strategy.

CBI sources said that Singh has been removed from the 2G case trial's prosecution team following the expose.  The court has been informed about the developments, the CI spokesperson said, adding another prosecutor has been appointed to the team to assist in the ongoing trial. "The CBI maintains strict vigilance over its officers and the prosecution and no instance of professional misconduct is taken lightly," the CBI said in a statement. 

Unitech rejected the allegations saying Chandra has never met the prosecutor in the 2G case outside the court or had any phone conversation with him. Unitech denied that Chandra's voice was on any alleged recording and said it appeared a fabricated voice recording had been sent anonymously to CBI.

“The tapes may be fabricated sent by some unknown person to CBI. It is an attempt to damage Sanjay Chandra’s defence in the 2G case. Sanjay Chandra never met AK Singh. Sanjay Chandra is completely cooperating with CBI,” Unitech said in a statement.

(This article was published on February 11, 2013)
XThese are links to The Hindu Business Line suggested by Outbrain, which may or may not be relevant to the other content on this page. You can read Outbrain's privacy and cookie policy here.