The death toll in yesterday’s twin blasts that tore through a crowded area in Hyderabad rose to 16 by Friday afternoon, with some of the 100-odd injured reported to be in a serious condition.
The injured are being treated in different hospitals in the city, including the Government-run Osmania Hospital, located about five km from the blast site, Dilsuknagar.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy has called for a meeting of all available ministers at his camp office later in the afternoon to review the steps to be taken in the aftermath of the blast. The State Government has also ordered a probe team.
Earlier, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde reached Hyderabad by a special flight this morning and drove straight to the twin blast site and later visited the hospitals where the injured are being treated.
Speaking to reporters, he said nothing can be said about the group behind the blasts at this moment. “Investigations have begun and the State Government has appointed a probe team,’’ he said.
To questions that there had been a specific alert, the Minister said there was no specific alert and a general alert had been issued to some States.
Investigating authorities said the twin blasts were caused by improvised explosive devices that could have been brought to the blast sites hidden on a bicycle.
In fact, one of the blast sites, a foot over-bridge at Dilsuknagar, was more or less the same spot from where an IED was defused some five years ago.
The Dilsuknagar area has been prone to bomb threats as it is one of the crowded places in the city, with a heavy flow of floating population.