Italy will do everything to bring back two of its marines by Christmas, who have been in India for over one-and-a-half years to face trial for killing two Indian fishermen, the country’s special envoy in the case has said.

The trial could begin by early September and if it concludes “relatively quickly”, the marines could be home for Christmas, Staffan de Mistura said after meeting Indian officials in New Delhi.

“I’ll do anything to make it happen,” Italian news agency ANSA quoted de Mistura as saying.

While in New Delhi, the envoy also told the Indian authorities that four other Italian sailors, who were witnesses to the shootings of the fishermen, would not be available for interviews by investigators in the case.

The two marines — Salvatore Girone and Massimiliano Latorre — were arrested on February 19 last year four days after they shot and killed two fishermen off Kerala coast on February 15, allegedly mistaking them for pirates. Both are facing murder charges.

Italy had claimed since the incident had taken place in international waters, Indian courts have no jurisdiction to conduct the trial.

However, the Supreme Court had ruled that the incident took place at a distance of about 20.5 nautical miles from the coastline of Kerala and, therefore, it occurred not within the territorial waters of the coastline of Kerala but within the Contiguous Zone.

Italy’s previous decision not to send marines to face trial had triggered a diplomatic standoff, with the Indian Supreme Court barring the Italian ambassador from leaving the country.

(This article was published on August 17, 2013)
XThese are links to The Hindu Business Line suggested by Outbrain, which may or may not be relevant to the other content on this page. You can read Outbrain's privacy and cookie policy here.