Our Bureau

Hyderabad, March 27

CONCERNED over India becoming the global capital of diabetes and cardio vascular diseases, the Union Government has decided to launch a national programme to tackle these diseases. Another programme on speech and hearing too would be unveiled.

Announcing this here, Mr Anbumani Ramadoss, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, said urbanites who constituted just 25 per cent of the total population, had access to 75 per cent of the total medical facilities in the country. Seventy-five per cent of the people, who lived in rural areas, got access to the remaining 25 per cent of the medical facilities.

The Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh, will launch the National Rural Health Mission to offer quality healthcare to people in rural areas.

Mr Ramadoss inaugurated a 16 slice, PET-CT scanner (Positron Emission Tomography-Computer Tomography scanning) with cyclotron facility at Apollo Hospitals here. This was the first such installation in the private sector in the country.

(This article was published in the Business Line print edition dated March 28, 2005)
XThese are links to The Hindu Business Line suggested by Outbrain, which may or may not be relevant to the other content on this page. You can read Outbrain's privacy and cookie policy here.