New Delhi, Feb. 16
DESPITE objections raised by private players to some of the provisions in the National Tariff Policy, the Government on Thursday ruled out the possibility of any immediate review of the policy.
"There is no question of reviewing the policy now... it's too early, we have just released it," the Power Secretary, Mr R.V. Shahi, said on the sidelines of a Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) seminar on Tariff Policy. Private companies have raised objections to the policy, claiming that it provided "undue" advantage to public sector companies such as NTPC Ltd by exempting them for five years from following a tariff-based competitive bidding route.
The policy, announced last month, however, requires private entities to follow a competitive bidding process with immediate effect. Responding to the policy, CII said that the Ministry had failed to differentiate between its role as an owner of state-run companies and its role as a policy-making body for the entire industry.
Refuting the allegation, Mr Shahi said that the Government allowed an adequate amount of consultation with stakeholders to get a balanced view. He said both the National Electricity Policy, announced in February 2005, and the Tariff Policy were consistent with the Electricity Act, 2003.