Agri Business

$85 m from ADB for Maharashtra agri-infra project

Rahul Wadke Mumbai | Updated on November 15, 2017 Published on February 29, 2012

The Maharashtra government has decided to launch a project with $85 million funding from the Asian Development Bank, which will augment the agriculture infrastructure in the State.

The project is named Agribusiness Infrastructure Development Investment Program (AIDIP) and aims to achieve accelerated investment in agriculture sector and to support related infrastructure in rural areas. Funds would be used for expanding the whole agriculture product value chain in the State.

A public-private-partnership (PPP) model would be used for developing the project, in which private partner would be investing about 60 per cent of project cost and remaining 40 per cent would be borne by ADB and the State Government in the ratio of 80:20.

Mr Kishor Toshniwal, Project Director with Maharashtra State Agricultural Marketing Board, said that the ADB has already sanctioned the funds for the project, which will expand the existing agriculture facilities, and add new ones for aggregating, sorting, grading and packaging of farm produce, he said.

In the first phase of AIDIP, crops such as pomegranate, grape, tomato, onion and banana will be given support in Nashik, Jalgaon and Amednagar districts. While Lemon, Kesar mango, Orange and Banana would be covered in the districts of Aurangabad, Amravati, Buldhana, Jalna and Akola.

An industry source said that since last year's union budget has given some income tax concessions for post harvest processing, it will definitely attract private sector players.

If the project is implemented properly then there would be better price realisation for the farmers, reduce wastage and improved handling, packaging and storages of the farm produce.

AIDIP will also fast track infrastructure support like last mile roads, power and water supply to the agriculture markets.

Published on February 29, 2012
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor