Economy

Coal scam: Parakh sees `weakening’ of cases in his new book

Our Bureau Hyderabad | Updated on January 12, 2018 Published on May 29, 2017

Former coal secretary P C Parakh (file photo)

The cases related to coal block allocation scam were `weakened’ due to `undue’ haste in closure of the case, aaccording to former coal secretary P C Parakh.

Parakh was speaking at a function here on Saturday to release his book, The Coal Conundrum – Executive Failure and Judicial Arrogance.

Recounting the events, the former bureaucrat found fault with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for registering an FIR against him in the case eight years after he retired.

The investigating agency, however, filed a closure report in the CBI court after 10 months stating that there was no evidence of "criminal conspiracy, dishonest intention or criminal misconduct’’ by a public servant against the persons named in the FIR.

It also said the decision to accommodate Hindalco in Talibara-II block was taken in the larger interests of the country.

Observing that the CBI judge was "unhappy’’ with the CBI not questioning former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and industrialist Kumar Mangalam Birla before submitting its closure report, Parakh said the 10-month period appeared "longer than his life’’ as he was facing the allegations of corruption.

Explaining the contents of his book, he said, it explains `wrong’ presumptions and surmises in the case and points out to “judicial’’ arrogance quoting various judgments.

Parakh, who retired as coal secretary in 2005, had earlier authored Crusader or Conspirator? Coalgate and other Truths.



Published on May 29, 2017
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor