Policy

Fighter jet deal put off to next fiscal due to budget constraints: Antony

Our Bureau New Delhi | Updated on March 12, 2018 Published on February 06, 2014

Wait and watch Defence Minister AK Antony at the Defence expo in Delhi on Thursday. MONICA TIWARI

92% of total capital expenditure already complete, says Minister

The proposed ₹60,000-crore deal with France’s Dassault Aviation for acquiring 126 fighter planes will not take place this fiscal due to budgetary constraints, Defence Minister AK Antony said here on Thursday.

“For major procurement, there is no money left in the current fiscal (ending March 31 this year),” Antony said at a press conference. Ninety-two per cent of the total capital expenditure has already been completed by January 31.

At the same time, due to budgetary constraints, over ₹7,900 crore from the capital account has been shifted on recurring expenses such as salary and maintenance, Antony said. But there is no cut in the Defence budget, he added.

The Minister said the Government is also looking into the complaints about the procedure for determining the lowest bidder for acquiring 126 fighter aircraft. The Government had, in January 2012, picked Dassault’s Rafale fighters as it was the lowest bidder in the auction process.

“There are complaints about the procedure of calculating the Life Cycle Cost and that issue is not yet settled. Before bringing the deal before the Cabinet Committee on Security for final approval, we would like to get clear on that aspect,” he said.

According to the Indian defence procedure, the firms quoting the lowest price and meeting the requirements of the respective services is awarded the contract.

The Minister said that LCC has been taken into view to determine the lowest bidder.

Admitting that the military procurement process may not be 100 per cent clean,” the Minister said that strict actions such as blacklisting of firms has sent a strong signal to vendors that any “mischief in Indian acquisition process can be dangerous”.

Antony indicated that the Central Bureau of Investigation is in the final stages of its probe into allegations of corruption in the $753-million deal to buy helicopters from AgustaWestland. In January, after 15 months of investigation, the Government scrapped the contract which was to acquire helicopters for travel by VVIPs such as the President and Prime Minister.

Published on February 06, 2014

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill. Everyone has been impacted.

Including your favourite business and financial newspaper. Our printing and distribution chains have been severely disrupted across the country, leaving readers without access to newspapers. Newspaper delivery agents have also been unable to service their customers because of multiple restrictions.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine have been working continuously every day so that you are informed about all the developments – whether on the pandemic, on policy responses, or the impact on the world of business and finance. Our team has been working round the clock to keep track of developments so that you – the reader – gets accurate information and actionable insights so that you can protect your jobs, businesses, finances and investments.

We are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. We have also ensured that even if your paper is not delivered, you can access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute, so that you can access the information you want anywhere, anytime.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. Sustaining our quality journalism has become extremely challenging. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all or readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. Doing so is easy. You can help us enormously simply by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section that offers rich investment advice from our highly qualified, in-house Research Bureau, the only such team in the Indian newspaper industry.

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
You have read 1 out of 3 free articles for this week. For full access, please subscribe and get unlimited access to all sections.