Info-tech

Lok Sabha: Opposition corners Ravi Shankar Prasad on ‘call drops’

Our Bureau New Delhi | Updated on January 20, 2018 Published on February 24, 2016

Ravi Shankar Prasad



Opposition parties cornered Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday on the issue of frequent call drops.

In his defence, Prasad said that “stringent measures” had been put in place to check the problem at the earliest.

Responding to a barrage of complaints during Question Hour, Prasad said nearly 65,000 BTS (Base Transceiver Stations) had been set up in four months time, including Delhi, and that there would be 2,500 Wi-Fi hot spots across the country by March 2016.

On a question by NCP leader Supriya Sule on poor 3G services in Parliament House complex, the Minister said while extending facilities in and around the complex, the heritage nature of the main building had to be kept in mind, along with security considerations.

Sugata Bose (Trinamool Congress) flagged the issue of security, saying his official residence had been provided with a new MTNL Internet connection, which he learnt was sub-contracted to an Ahmedabad-based private firm – Sanghvi – and was lacking in security.

In response, Prasad said the Department of Telecommunication had proper regulations with regard to sub-contracting, which were binding on the public sector MTNL, and assured Bose that he would look into the matter.

Published on February 24, 2016
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor