Info-tech

Obi Worldphone gets 75,000 pre-registrations for flagship SF1

Rajesh Kurup Mumbai | Updated on January 22, 2018 Published on December 07, 2015

Obi Worldphone, backed by former Apple Chief Executive Officer John Sculley, has received more than 75,000 pre-registrations for its mid-range handset that went on sale on Monday.



In November, the Dubai-based company had announced its India foray with the launch of its flagship SF1 smartphone. The pre-registrations for the smartphones had opened on November 26.



“SF1 32 GB variant has been the best selling model till now. We have received good responses in all markets. In Vietnam where Obi started selling earlier this month, Obi went out of stock within first few days,” Obi Worldphone Chief Executive Officer Neeraj Chauhan said.



The smartphone is available in two variants - one with 2GB RAM and 16GB storage and another with 3GB RAM and 32GB storage – with expandable memory options. The 2GB version is priced at Rs 11,999, while the 3GB is priced at Rs 13,999.



He, however, did not disclose the number of handsets the company has already shipped.



Earlier in August, the company had launched two mid-range smartphones in San Francisco, targeting telecom markets across Asia, Africa and West Asia.



“Following the global launch in San Francisco, we launched Obi products in Dubai, Vietnam and Saudi Arabia. Our products were well received in these countries,” Chauhan said, adding, the company is continuing to ramp up production for existing markets and new markets.



The company, which was co-founded by Sculley and entrepreneurs Neeraj Chauhan, Shane Maine and Gordon McMillan, is banking design and price as key differentiators to sell the devices.

 

rajesh.kurup@thehindu.co.in

 

Published on December 07, 2015
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor