News

Death toll in Chennai building collapse climbs to 42

PTI Chennai | Updated on November 25, 2017

The death toll in the collapse of an under-construction 11 storeyed building near suburban Porur climbed to 42 today, a senior state Government official said.

Of the 42 deceased persons, 28 were men and the rest women, Director of Public Health K Kulandaisamy said.

About 69 persons had been pulled out dead or alive from under the debris of the collapsed structure by rescue personnel since Saturday when the mishap occurred, he said.

Meanwhile, another official, who did not want to be named, said it was feared that another 20-25 persons could have been trapped under the debris, even as multi-agency rescue efforts, including the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), were on in full swing.

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

Published on July 02, 2014
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor