With the business landscape changing faster than ever, business managers need to move beyond mere supervisory roles and participate actively in transforming their companies digitally, said Ajit Balakrishnan, Chairman and CEO, Rediff.com India Ltd. Addressing students on Tuesday at the Fourth Convocation of Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli, the chief guest, in his address, spoke from his years of experience on the topic ‘Tips on how to fail successfully’. On a personal note, Balakrishnan asked the graduates to research on the following three questions: How to fail quickly? How to fail cheaply? And, how to fail wisely? With each of these teaching them to realise their mistakes faster, it provides them chances to move to the big opportunity and persist in their endeavours, he told the students.
The fourth annual convocation was for award of the post graduate diploma in management (PGDM) and the post graduate diploma in business management (PGDBM).
Dr. R. Karunamurthi, Chairman of the Convocation, and Member of the Board of Governors, IIM Trichy, awarded the diplomas to 102 graduates of PGPM and 24 graduates of the PGDBM. Dr. Prafulla Agnihotri, Director, presented the Director’s Report.
The Director, in his report, focused on the achievements of the students and faculty, highlighting the numerous awards and publications. The Director emphasised the exceptional placement record with international placements in both summer and final placements, and a marked increase of 14.9 per cent over the prior year in the average pay of the graduating batch. One of the first year students, Keshav Pasari, won the ‘Future Business Leader Award’ at the CIMA Global Meet held at Poland, said the Director.
In addition to the award of diplomas, the following awards were given to these students for their meritorious and all-round performance:
1. IIM Tiruchirappalli Chairperson’s Gold Medal for securing 1st Rank in PGPM: Vivek Agarwal.
2. HDFC Bank Gold Medal for academic proficiency in Finance & Accounting courses among PGPM students: Vivek Agarwal.
3. HDFC Bank Gold Medal for academic proficiency in Marketing courses among PGPM students: Sangameswaran Ashwin.
4. Leela Chandrasekhara Menon Award for the Outstanding PGPM Lady Student of the Year Archana Nair.
5. Kotak Securities Gold Medal for best all-round performance among PGPM students Sangameswaran Ashwin.
6. IIM Tiruchirappalli Chairperson’s Gold Medal for securing 1st Rank in PGPBM: Aarti Satyamurthy.
7. IIM Tiruchirappalli Director’s Gold Medal for securing 2nd Rank in PGPBM: Kalpana P.
8. Punjab National Bank Gold Medal for best all-round performance in PGPBM: Sudha Ponnuswamy.
IIM Tiruchirappalli is scheduled to move to its permanent campus for the coming academic year in the month of June 2016. The site is located in the Chinna Suriyur Village, near Bharathidasan University, Pudukottai Main Road, Tiruchirappalli. Funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, the construction is in full swing. The CPWD is the project management consultant, Shapoorji Pallonji is the construction agency, and CnT Architects the architectural consultant.