Elections 2021

We have closed 90% of ‘escape routes’ for Modi, says Rahul

Our Bureau New Delhi | Updated on May 17, 2019

Congress President Rahul Gandhi addresses a press conference at party HQ, in New Delhi, Friday, May 17, 2019.   -  PTI

Congress President Rahul Gandhi said here on Friday that his party has managed to close 90 per cent of the “escape routes” for Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Addressing reporters on the last day of campaigning, he said he will not “predict” the outcome of the elections and whatever be the verdict of the people, he will accept it. He also said the BJP spent 20 times more money than the Congress in electioneering process.

The Congress President said the election was a fight of ideologies. While Modi stood for hate and division, the Congress stood for love and unity, he said.

Also read: Sonia springs into action; to devise strategy with allies on  D-Day

“The people have taken a decision. The results will be announced on May 23. Whatever be the outcome, we will accept it,” he said. The Congress chief added that the BJP had money power, marketing and television channels and “we had truth with us and we will win.”

He alleged that the Election Commission (EC) did a biased job during the polls. “The EC’s role in this election is biased. The entire election schedule is formed primarily to benefit Modi,” Gandhi said. He added that the Congress raised people’s issues during the polls. “We were a responsible Opposition. We exposed the corruption deals such as Rafale. Chowkidar Chor hai is echoing in every corner of the country now.”

Also read: On May 23, it will be “bye-bye” for Modi, claims Rahul Gandhi

Rahul Gandhi said Modi had a huge opportunity. “I would have liked to see him taking the country forward. He lost sight of the real picture, people chose him to give country a vision, but he chose to abuse our vision,” he said.

Read also: At his first press conference, PM Modi says BJP will be back in power

He said the Congress strategy for the last two years was to systematically close every door to stop Modi from escaping. “We closed 90 per cent of the doors, and he helped us close the remaining 10 per cent by abusing people such as (Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister) Chandrababu Naidu,” he added.

For more: Elections 2019

Published on May 17, 2019

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

You May Also Like