An explosion of battery of an electric scooter left one dead and three three injured in Vijayawada.

According to police, the deceased, Sivakumar (40) , a resident of Suryaraopet in Vijayawada, bought a new electric scooter, Corbett 14 made by Booma Innovative Transport Solutions Pvt Ltd (Boom Motors) on Friday and kept the battery for charging in his bedroom last night.

The battery exploded in the wee hours of Saturday and triggered a fire in which Sivakumar, his wife Harathi (30) and children Bindu (10) and Sasi (6) sustained burns and suffered sophocation.

Sivakumar, a DTP operator by profession, succumbed while being shifted to a hospital by neighbours. His wife and children are being treated at a private hospital. Police registered a case and further investigation is on.

Boom Motors is a Coimbatore based - EV company which decribes itslef as a ``highly technology driven company with many patents developmed and high level of indigenisation’‘.

It may be recalled that a similar explosion of battery of an electric scotter made by Hyderabad-based PureEV killed a senior citizen in Nizamabad in Telangana a couple of days ago.