National

Karnataka excise minister resigns as sleazy video goes public

Our Bureau Bengaluru | Updated on January 16, 2018 Published on December 14, 2016

HY Meti

In a major embarrassment to the Congress government in Karnataka, excise minister HY Meti was forced to resign from the cabinet after a CD containing video of his alleged sexual escapades was made public.

The CD was made public four days ago. It allegedly shows him seeking sexual favours from a woman, a contract employee in the State department of health, who had sought his help for a transfer.

As regional television channels started telecasting the alleged footage of Meti with a woman in a compromising position, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah is learnt to have held a closed door meeting with some of his senior cabinet colleagues on the issue.

Following the meeting, the decision to accept Meti’s resignation was taken. Siddaramaiah has forwarded the resignation to the Governor and in turn has ordered a Criminal Investigation Department (CID) probe into the episode.

CM defends minister

Reacting to the incident, the Chief Minister said that Meti had “voluntarily resigned on moral grounds” and that it “looks like a conspiracy” by Meti’s political detractors. Speaking to reporters after resigning from the cabinet, Meti said that he had resigned to “save embarrassment” to the State government. BJP, the principal opposition party in the State, said that mere resignation is not enough. A case under IPC 376 (punishment against rape) should be charged against Meti and a detailed probe be conducted on his involvement.

Janata Dal (Secular) State President and former Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy alleged that the Chief Minister knew about the whole episode for sometime and had been trying to hush it up.

This is the second embarrassment in quick succession for the Congress government. A month ago, Minister for Primary and Higher Education, Tanvir Sait, was allegedly caught viewing objectionable pictures of women on his mobile phone during the Tipu Jayanti celebration. The CID has, however, cleared Sait of the charge.

Published on December 14, 2016
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor