As people wary of spread of COVID-19 pandemic prefer to rent two wheelers and cabs, Road Transport and Highways Ministry issued an advisory asking State Governments to not insist on checking commercial driving license badges from people driving such rented vehicles.

Also, inter-state movement of rented motor-cycles and cabs should be permitted if the taxes are paid, it added. 

These (rented vehicles) are meant to be used by tourists, business travelers, corporate officials and families on holidays. This would also help people to self-drive cabs and motor-cycles. 

The advisory was issued based on “issues raised by certain stakeholders”, said an official.

Persons driving the commercial vehicles should not be asked for “commercial driving licenses or badges” if they are carrying the valid driving license or international driving permit; and a copy of license for renting motor cab or for the motor-cycle, said the Road Ministry in an advisory.

Two-wheeler with licenses under ‘Rent-a-Motorcycle Scheme” should be allowed to drive across the States on payment of relevant taxes, it added.

States may provide licenses to such operators and drivers who drive such vehicles “should not be insisted” for any badges, the Road Ministry advisory added. This will permit people with private driving licenses (domestic or international) to drive the rented cabs or rented motor-cycles.

The advisory comes at a time when the national lockdown is being relaxed, people are returning to the country, and movement of vehicles within and across states are permitted subject to local government rules. 

About 50,000 stranded citizens have been evacuated from abroad.