News

Verdict postponed to July 25 for juvenile accused in Delhi gang-rape

DPA New Delhi | Updated on March 12, 2018 Published on July 11, 2013

The verdict for the teenager suspected in a Delhi fatal gang-rape was postponed today, as the court heard additional arguments.

The Juvenile Justice Board had reserved its verdict until July 25, a lawyer connected with the case said after the hearing where a ruling had been widely expected.

“The final arguments concluded today,” said Madhav Khurana, a lawyer assisting the state prosecutors.

The court had originally said on July 5 that the trial was concluded and it would pronounce the verdict Thursday.

But principal Magistrate Geetanjali Goel heard further arguments from both the prosecution and the defence, causing her to defer the verdict to consider the new statements.

A 23-year-old student was gang-raped and beaten in a moving bus in the Indian capital on December 16 and died two weeks later of her injuries. The crime made international headlines and led to a wave of protest across the country.

The suspect, who turned 18 in June, was tried separately as a juvenile on charges including rape, murder and kidnapping. He pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The teenager faces a maximum sentence of three years in a reform facility if found guilty. Police prosecutors have described him as an equal participant in the crime.

Four other men are on trial in an adult criminal court. A fifth was found hanged in his cell in March.

Published on July 11, 2013
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor