World

North Korea leader briefed on Guam missile plan

PTI Seoul | Updated on January 09, 2018 Published on August 15, 2017

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visits the Command of the Strategic Force of the Korean People's Army in an unknown location in North Korea in this undated photo released by North Korea's KCNA.   -  Reuters

Tensions have been mounting since the North tested two intercontinental ballistic missile tests last month

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un has been briefed on a plan to fire missiles near Guam but hinted that he would hold off on the launch, Pyongyang’s state media said today.

Kim “examined the plan for a long time” and “discussed it” with commanding officers yesterday during his inspection of the command of the Strategic Force in charge of the North’s missile units, according to the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

He said that “the US imperialists caught the noose around their necks due to their reckless military confrontation racket”. But Kim hinted he would hold off on the plan to test-fire missiles towards the US Pacific island territory, saying he would “watch a little more the foolish and stupid conduct of the Yankees spending a hard time of every minute of their miserable lot”.

“In order to defuse the tensions and prevent the dangerous military conflict on the Korean peninsula, it is necessary for the US to make a proper option first and show it through action, as it committed provocations after introducing huge nuclear strategic equipment into the vicinity of the peninsula”, he was quoted as saying by KCNA. He urged the US to “stop at once arrogant provocations” against the North and not provoke it any longer.

North Korea’s military said last week that it would finalise by mid-August its detailed plan to test-fire four intermediate-range ballistic missiles in an “enveloping fire” around Guam and report it to its leader for approval.

Tensions have been mounting since the North tested two intercontinental ballistic missile tests last month, which appeared to bring much of the US within range.

Responding to the tests, US President Donald Trump warned Pyongyang of “fire and fury like the world has never seen”. The North in turn threatened to test-fire its missiles towards the US Pacific island of Guam.

The war of words has sparked global alarm, with world leaders including Chinese President Xi Jinping urging calm on both sides.

South Korean President Moon Jae-In also waded in on yesterday, calling for calm in the standoff with North Korea, saying there should never be another war on the peninsula.

US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis warned yesterday that an attack against the United States could quickly escalate into war, as he and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson moved to dial down tensions. Mattis’s comments came after they said in an opinion piece in The Wall Street Journal that America has “no interest” in regime change in Pyongyang or the accelerated reunification of the two Koreas, and stressed the importance of a diplomatic solution to the crisis.

The two statesmen decided to write the piece a couple of weeks ago, and it had not been in response to last week’s heated rhetoric, Mattis said. Mattis and Tillerson said the United States favours a diplomatic solution to the nuclear stand-off, especially with help from China, though they stressed diplomacy is “backed by military options.”

Published on August 15, 2017

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine, are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. You can also access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all our readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. You can help us by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section.

Our subscriptions start as low as Rs 199/- per month. A yearly package costs just Rs. 999 – a mere Rs 2.75 per day, less than a third the price of a cup of roadside chai..

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor