World

US settles first Muslim travel ban lawsuit with campaigners

PTI New York | Updated on January 10, 2018 Published on September 01, 2017
A man leads a protest chant with a makeshift megaphone during a protest against the travel ban imposed by US President Donald Trump's executive order, at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in Dallas, Texas, US January 28, 2017. Photo Credit: REUTERS

A man leads a protest chant with a makeshift megaphone during a protest against the travel ban imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order, at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in Dallas, Texas, U.S. January 28, 2017. REUTERS/Laura Buckman

The US government will allow people barred from entering the country in the early days of President Donald Trump’s travel ban to re-pply for visas following a legal settlement with campaigners have announced.

Under the terms of the agreement, reached in a federal court in New York, the government must contact all individuals who had been turned away at borders as a result of the President’s first executive order that came into force on January 27, and inform them they may seek re-entry.

It does not guarantee applicants will receive new visas nor does it award them compensation, but obliges the government to act in “good faith” when processing their paperwork.

The settlement brings an end to the case Darweesh v Trump, a nationwide class-action suit filed by two Iraqi men detained at New York’s JFK airport because of the ban. They were represented by numerous rights groups including the powerful American Civil Liberties Union.

It was the first legal challenge to the original executive order, and had previously succeeded in gaining an injunction on removing anyone from the US on the basis of the ban.

“Although the government dragged its feet for far too long, it has finally agreed to do the right thing and provide those excluded under the first Muslim ban with proper notice of their right to come to the United States,” said Lee Gelernt yesterday, an ACLU lawyer involved in the case.

But the “legal fight against Muslim ban 2.0” would continue, he said, adding that the Supreme Court was set to hear hold another hearing in October.

The first order, which closed for three months US borders to nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries and refugees for four months, caused chaos at airports and triggered protests across major cities.

Hundreds of nationals from the countries affected by the ban were detained on arrival despite having valid visas or even residency documents.

It was quickly challenged in court by campaigners and several US states, and was suspended on February 3.

A revised version was announced in March barring nationals from six countries, though visa and green card holders were exempt.

The administration scored a partial victory in June, when the Supreme Court ruled that it could proceed with the ban, though people with a “bona fide relationship” to a US person or entity were exempt.

Published on September 01, 2017

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine, are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. You can also access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all our readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. You can help us by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section.

Our subscriptions start as low as Rs 199/- per month. A yearly package costs just Rs. 999 – a mere Rs 2.75 per day, less than a third the price of a cup of roadside chai..

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor