World

World's biggest oil producers still at odds before talks on major cuts

Reuters DUBAI/LONDON | Updated on April 08, 2020 Published on April 08, 2020

File photo   -  REUTERS

Saudi Arabia and Russia are willing to cut crude output but only if the United States and others outside OPEC+ joined in.

The world's top oil producers Saudi Arabia, Russia and the United States still seemed at odds on Wednesday before this week’s meetings on potentially big output cuts to shore up crude prices that have been hammered by the coronavirus crisis.

Saudi Arabia and Russia, which fell out when a previous pact on curbing supplies collapsed in March, have signalled they could agree deep cuts to crude output but only if the United States and others outside a group known as OPEC+ joined in.

But the US Department of Energy said on Tuesday that US output was already falling without government action, echoing views from the White House that it would not intervene, even as global demand for crude has plunged by as much as 30 per cent.

US President Donald Trump said last week a deal he had brokered with Saudi Arabia and Russia could lead to cuts of as much as 15 per cent of global supplies, an unprecedented level.

Yet Moscow and Riyadh have yet to publicly indicate any agreement on the level of any reductions or how to distribute them among OPEC+, which includes the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, Russia and other producers. “Let’s wait for tomorrow or the day after,” said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, when asked about Russia's position before Thursday's OPEC+ talks.

Energy ministers from the Group of 20 nations (G20) also hold a video conference. Moscow, Riyadh and others need to agree on what national production level, or baseline, for calculating cuts, an issue muddied since last month's acrimonious OPEC+ meeting in Vienna that led to limits being scrapped and race for market share that flooded an already oversupplied market with extra crude.

Saudi Arabia ramped up output to a record 12.3. million bpd in April, up from below 10 million bpd in March. The kingdom's Gulf allies, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates, also raised production.

OPEC sources said Riyadh wanted any cuts calculated from April levels. But Russia has said cuts should be based on first-quarter levels. “The issue is still the baseline,” an OPEC source said. Asked about what baselines were being negotiated, the source said: “April versus anything else before April.”

Russian TASS news agency said any cuts could last three months starting from May. Others have not indicated how long they could run.

Aggravating the market

Iran, which was exempted from the previous OPEC+ deal, said details such as the baseline and the contributions by the United States and others Canada, should have been agreed before any meeting was scheduled.

Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh said that, “in the absence of any clear and consensual outcome”, a failure of talks could “aggravate the current low price environment even further”.

Oil prices, which fell to their lowest in almost two decades in March, are still trading at half their level at the end of 2019, before the coronavirus crisis prompted governments to tell people to stay home and fuel demand plummeted.

The United States, whose production has surged in recent years with the help of the revolution in shale oil production and helped by past OPEC+ efforts to support prices, has said the decline in its output would take place slowly, over two years.

US Department of Energy projections show US oil output averaging 11 million bpd in 2021, which correlates to about a 2 million bpd decline from the late 2019 peak.

US antitrust law stops producers in the United States from reining in output to prop up prices, but state regulators or the federal government can order lower production levels.

US producer Occidental Petroleum said it opposed any production limits introduced by regulators in Texas, the largest-producing US state. Regulators there meet next week to consider production cuts.

Reflecting US political pressures, Republican senators introduced a bill to remove US defence systems and troops in Saudi Arabia unless the kingdom cut output. The senators were due to speak to Saudi officials on Saturday, a source said.

Any final agreement for how much OPEC+ will cut during Thursday's talks would depend on volumes other producers such as the United States, Canada and Brazil offered to cut, OPEC sources said.

Some producers outside OPEC+ have indicated a willingness to help. Energy firms in Canada, home to the world's third-largest oil reserves, have already been reducing output due to the sharp fall in prices.

Published on April 08, 2020

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill. Everyone has been impacted.

Including your favourite business and financial newspaper. Our printing and distribution chains have been severely disrupted across the country, leaving readers without access to newspapers. Newspaper delivery agents have also been unable to service their customers because of multiple restrictions.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine have been working continuously every day so that you are informed about all the developments – whether on the pandemic, on policy responses, or the impact on the world of business and finance. Our team has been working round the clock to keep track of developments so that you – the reader – gets accurate information and actionable insights so that you can protect your jobs, businesses, finances and investments.

We are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. We have also ensured that even if your paper is not delivered, you can access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute, so that you can access the information you want anywhere, anytime.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. Sustaining our quality journalism has become extremely challenging. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all or readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. Doing so is easy. You can help us enormously simply by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section that offers rich investment advice from our highly qualified, in-house Research Bureau, the only such team in the Indian newspaper industry.

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
You have read 1 out of 3 free articles for this week. For full access, please subscribe and get unlimited access to all sections.