Personal Finance

Your Taxes

Sudhakar Sethuraman | Updated on March 24, 2019 Published on March 24, 2019

I am a pensioner retired from a bank. I had been filing ITR 1. After retirement, I started a freelance consulting, and filed ITR 3 for AY2018-19 showing pension income and business income.

During the current fiscal, am I eligible to claim the standard deduction of ₹40,000 from my pension income and deduction of ₹50,000 for interest on FDs u/s 80TTB allowed for senior citizens because my business income/loss also forms part of my taxable total income?

Since the business is not generating income, can I opt to file ITR 1 for the coming years and opt out of filing ITR 3? Are there any restrictions for such changeovers for return filing?

Asok Kumar PR

Yes, you can claim standard deduction of up to ₹40,000 from your pension income for AY2019-20, as the same is considered as income under the head salaries.

Further, being a senior citizen, you are eligible to claim deduction of up to ₹50,000 for interest earned from fixed deposits under Section 80TTB.

With respect to tax return forms, this has to be determined at the time of filing the tax returns based on the nature of your income, quantum of income, residential status, etc, in the relevant financial year.

If your business is already closed in AY2018-19, you may opt for filing of ITR 1/2, as applicable for AY2019-20.

You will have to file ITR 3 if you have to carry forward any business losses.



I started investing in the PPF in 1992 in my son’s name (then a minor). If encashed now, I presume the total accrual would go to him.

Is it taxable in his hands?

He is in the 30 per cent tax bracket.

Is it taxable in my hands if he gifts it to me (30 per cent bracket) or to my wife

who is a non-assessee?

BV Rao

Maturity proceeds from a Public Provident Fund account is exempted from taxation.

Hence, there will not be any tax liability upon maturity.

Regarding your query on gifts, the Income Tax Act does not provide for taxation for gifts from relatives.

As parents are covered under the definition of a relative, any amount received from your son as ‘gift’ will not be taxable in your/your spouse’s hands.

However, income earned from such gift will be taxable.

For instance, if you invest the gifted money in fixed deposits, the interest from such deposits will be taxable in your hands.

The writer is Partner, Deloitte India. Send your queries to

Published on March 24, 2019

A letter from the Editor

Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill. Everyone has been impacted.

Including your favourite business and financial newspaper. Our printing and distribution chains have been severely disrupted across the country, leaving readers without access to newspapers. Newspaper delivery agents have also been unable to service their customers because of multiple restrictions.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine have been working continuously every day so that you are informed about all the developments – whether on the pandemic, on policy responses, or the impact on the world of business and finance. Our team has been working round the clock to keep track of developments so that you – the reader – gets accurate information and actionable insights so that you can protect your jobs, businesses, finances and investments.

We are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. We have also ensured that even if your paper is not delivered, you can access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute, so that you can access the information you want anywhere, anytime.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. Sustaining our quality journalism has become extremely challenging. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all or readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. Doing so is easy. You can help us enormously simply by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section that offers rich investment advice from our highly qualified, in-house Research Bureau, the only such team in the Indian newspaper industry.

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
You have read 1 out of 3 free articles for this week. For full access, please subscribe and get unlimited access to all sections.