Display tech firm Barco eyes growth in India, to tap South Asia

Abhishek Law Kolkata | Updated on June 25, 2019 Published on June 25, 2019

Rajiv Bhalla, MD, Barco India

Display technology company, Barco, is banking on entertainment, tourism and healthcare for growth in India and achieve 25 per cent growth in turnover for the next three years.

Barco India, a 100 per cent subsidiary of the Belgium-based BARCO NV, is also planning to leverage its development centre in Noida for exports to South Asian markets.

The company specialises in hi-tech and high-quality networked visualisation products for the Indian market. Offerings include large screen display solutions, digital cinema projectors, hi-tech medical displays, rugged displays for professional applications, among others.

According to Rajiv Bhalla, Managing Director, Barco India, nearly 90 per cent of its turnover comes from offerings in the entertainment and enterprise segments, while the remaining 10 per cent is from healthcare.

Smart cities with better traffic management systems and improved governance (through centralised command centres), and focus on tourism (particularly light and sound shows that require better projection facilities) seem to be the few major drivers for Barco here in India.

“Governance apart, we are also witnessing momentum happening in the entertainment sector,” Bhalla told BusinessLine.

“We have witnessed upwards of 25 per cent growth in the last three years and are expecting to grow more than 25 per cent for the next three years,” he said adding that the India turnover has doubled over the last three years. The MD, however, did not share turnover details.

India Development Centre

Barco, as a part of its India growth plan, has begun to focus on software development from its Noida centre. It will look to hire nearly 70-odd people this year thereby, taking the total number of people working there to 200. The capacity utilisation is nearly, 78 per centprimarily towards local production.

India continues to be company’s second largest centre of excellence for manufacturing and software development outside of Belgium. Over the years, the plan is to elevate this development centre to export offerings to other emerging markets.

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

Published on June 25, 2019
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor