Economy

Centre to stick to set disinvestment target

K. R. Srivats New Delhi | Updated on March 12, 2018 Published on September 28, 2011

Mr R. Gopalan, Economic Affairs Secretary

Hopeful of achieving target despite choppy markets, says Gopalan

The Centre has no immediate plans to revise the disinvestment target of Rs 40,000 crore set for the current fiscal, the Economic Affairs Secretary, Mr R. Gopalan, said here today.

“Our aim is to achieve the Rs 40,000 crore (target). We hope to achieve it. As on date, we are not going to revise the target,” Mr Gopalan told reporters when asked if the divestment target would be scaled down in the wake of choppy markets.

Recently, the Centre had put on hold the much expected ONGC further public offering (FPO) owing to the unfavourable market conditions.

Mr Gopalan pointed out that “very many possibilities and other routes” were still available for the Government to mop up Rs 40,000 crore by end March next year. “There can be equity shrinkage… buyback of equity…very many possibilities. We are in a position to achieve the target,” he said.

The Centre has so far this fiscal raised Rs 1,144.55 crore as disinvestment receipts.

Published on September 28, 2011
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor