Economy

NHPC to soon finalise joint venture for 3 projects in Orissa

PTI New Delhi | Updated on March 12, 2018 Published on June 29, 2011

The country’s largest hydro power producer NHPC will soon finalise a joint venture with the Orissa Government for setting up three hydel projects having a total capacity of 300 MW in the State.

The three proposed hydro power projects would come up at Sindol, near Dhenkanal.

“We are in discussions with the Orissa Government for a joint venture and things are expected to be finalised very soon, probably in a one month’s time,” NHPC Chairman and Managing Director, Mr A.B.L. Srivastava, told PTI.

NHPC would have a 51 per cent stake in the joint venture, while the remaining 49 per cent would be with the Orissa Government.

“The three projects (would have) a total capacity of about 300 MW,” he said.

Going by estimates, Orissa has hydro power generation capacity of over 2,000 MW, with contributions from plants at Hirakud, Balimela, Rengali, Upper Kolab, Upper Indravati and Macchkund.

Meanwhile, NHPC is also looking at expanding its presence into other states, including Uttarakhand.

“We are expecting to get more projects from other states, including Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh,” Mr Srivastava said.

The state-run entity has an installed capacity of about 5,300 MW and is planning to add around 700 MW by commissioning five projects by March.

Published on June 29, 2011
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor