Info-tech

2G: Court reserves order on Behura’s bail plea

| Updated on: May 27, 2011

A Delhi court today reserved its order on the bail plea of former Telecom Secretary Siddhartha Behura, an accused in the 2G spectrum case.

“Put up for order on June 3,” the Special CBI Judge, Mr O.P. Saini, said after the arguments on Mr Behura’s bail plea were concluded.

During the arguments, the CBI said that Mr Behura should not have followed the orders of the then Telecom Minister, Mr A. Raja, who is the key accused in the case, if they were not in accordance with the law.

“He (Behura) was not obliged to follow the orders of the minister (Raja), if they were not in accordance with the law,” the CBI prosecutor, Mr A.K. Singh, said.

Senior Advocate Mr Aman Lekhi, appearing for Mr Behura, countered the CBI’s submissions saying his client was only performing his duties, being the secretary of the Department of Telecommunication (DoT).

The agency had earlier said Mr Behura did not put any check and balance on Mr Raja’s “misdeeds” during grant of licences despite having highest executive powers in the DoT.

The CBI had also opposed Mr Behura’s plea that the Prime Minister was informed by Mr Raja through letters about the process of grant of licences, saying mere informing him did not mean that he got the consent on the issue.

The agency had pointed out that Mr Behura had played an active role in giving licences to Swan Telecom, promoted by Mr Shahid Usman Balwa, despite its ineligibility.

Mr Behura is lodged in Tihar Jail along with 12 other accused persons including Mr Raja, DMK MP Mr Kanimozhi and Mr Shahid Usman Balwa.

Published on March 12, 2018

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

COMMENTS
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

You May Also Like

Recommended for you