National

Coronavirus: Markaz Nizamuddin says it has not violated any provisions of law

PTI New Delhi | Updated on March 31, 2020 Published on March 31, 2020

People who attended a religious congregation at Markaz Nizamuddin leave the premises. Twenty four people, who took part in the event, have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.   -  Kamal Narang

Markaz Nizamuddin, the place where a religious congregation left several people affected with coronavirus, on Tuesday said that it has not violated any provision of the law, and offered its premises for setting up a quarantine facility.

Markaz Nizamuddin, which is the international headquarters of Tabilghi Jamaat for close to 100 years, will cooperate with the authorities, it said in a statement.

 

Delhi government on Tuesday said twenty-four people, who took part in a religious congregation at Markaz Nizamuddin earlier this month, have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

 

Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain said 700 people who attended this congregation have been quarantined, while around 335 people have been admitted to hospitals.

Besides, participants from across India, the congregation was attended by people from different countries, including Indonesia and Thailand.

The Markaz statement referred to the directive of the Delhi government to take legal action against the Markaz administration. “During this entire episode, Markaz Nizamuddin never violated any provision of law, and always tried to act with compassion and reason towards the visitors who came to Delhi from different States. It did not let them violate the medical guidelines by thronging ISBTs or roaming on streets,” the statement said.

The statement said the Markaz would like to humbly offer the entire premises as a quarantine facility to help the authorities tide-over the challenge of current pandemic.

“Visitors/guests/devotees/worshippers from across the globe throng the place for pre-scheduled programmes and all the programmes are decided a year in advance in order to facilitate visitors from far-off places to plan their participation,” it said.

The Markaz said when the Prime Minister announced the ‘Janata Curfew’ on March 22, the ongoing programme was discontinued immediately, but a large number of people were stuck in the premises due to the closure of railway services on March 21. The statement said the Markaz observed the ‘Janata Curfew’ and the visitors stayed put in the premises.

“Before the Janta Curfew could be lifted at 9 PM, the Chief Minister of Delhi announced lockdown of Delhi beginning at 6 AM on March 23 till March 31, thereby further diminishing any chances of these visitors availing road transport for their journey back home,” the statement said.

The statement said around 1,500 people left the Markaz on March 23 by “availing whatever meagre transport was available”.

On the evening of March 23, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a nationwide 21-day lockdown, the statement said, adding there was no option for Markaz Nizamuddin but to accommodate the stranded visitors with prescribed medical precautions.

On March 24, a notice was issued by SHO of the Hazrat Nizamuddin police station seeking closure of Markaz premises.

The Markaz responded to the notice the same day by stating that around 1,000 visitors belonging to different States and nationalities were present in Markaz while 1,500 had left.

The Markaz had also requested the SDM of the area to issue vehicle passes so that the remaining people could be sent back to their native places outside of Delhi.

“It is relevant to indicate here that lists of 17 vehicles with registration numbers along with the names of the drivers plus their license details were submitted to the SDM so that the stranded visitors/guests could be ferried towards their destination. The requisite permission is still awaited,” the statement said.

It said on March 27, six persons were taken for medical check-up while the next day, the SDM and WHO team visited the Markaz and 33 persons were taken for medical checkup to Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital.

On March 28, another notice was issued, by the Office of ACP, Lajpat Nagar, reiterating the prohibitory orders and warning of legal action, the statement said, adding, that “this being totally oblivious of the above deliberations and steps that had already been taken by Markaz in consultation with the authorities”. The Markaz said it replied to the second notice as well.

Published on March 31, 2020

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill. Everyone has been impacted.

Including your favourite business and financial newspaper. Our printing and distribution chains have been severely disrupted across the country, leaving readers without access to newspapers. Newspaper delivery agents have also been unable to service their customers because of multiple restrictions.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine have been working continuously every day so that you are informed about all the developments – whether on the pandemic, on policy responses, or the impact on the world of business and finance. Our team has been working round the clock to keep track of developments so that you – the reader – gets accurate information and actionable insights so that you can protect your jobs, businesses, finances and investments.

We are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. We have also ensured that even if your paper is not delivered, you can access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute, so that you can access the information you want anywhere, anytime.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. Sustaining our quality journalism has become extremely challenging. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all or readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. Doing so is easy. You can help us enormously simply by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section that offers rich investment advice from our highly qualified, in-house Research Bureau, the only such team in the Indian newspaper industry.

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
You have read 1 out of 3 free articles for this week. For full access, please subscribe and get unlimited access to all sections.