World

Benghazi fallout: Four US officials suspended

PTI Washington | Updated on March 12, 2018 Published on December 20, 2012

Ripples over the Benghazi attack grew bigger as a top US State Department official resigned and three others were disciplined after an independent probe uncovered major security failures and mismanagement.

The failures pointed out by the independent accountability review board came as clamour grew in the Congress to recall Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other top officials to testify to questions why security was “grossly inadequate” at the American mission.

Clinton was forced by ill health to pull out of this week’s hearing. But members of the Senate and House Foreign Committee want to put her on the dock. The committee will question Deputy Secretary of State William Burns today.

The review board, whose report was sent to the Congress on Tuesday, has been highly critical of the some of the functions of the State Department, in particular those related to security, which it said resulted in the security lapse leading to the terrorist attack on the Benghazi Consulate.

Eric Boswell, the Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security, resigned, effective immediately after the report.

The other three officials who have been placed on administrative leave include Deputy Assistant Secretary for Diplomatic Security Charlene Lamb.

“Frankly, the State Department had not given Benghazi the security, both physical and personnel resources, it needed,” the Accountability Review Board chairman Tom Pickering, told reporters at a State Department news conference.

“We are recommending that the State Department undertake an urgent review to determine the proper balance between acceptable risk and mission tasks and needs in high-risk and in high-threat areas,” he said.

Published on December 20, 2012

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine, are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. You can also access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all our readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. You can help us by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section.

Our subscriptions start as low as Rs 199/- per month. A yearly package costs just Rs. 999 – a mere Rs 2.75 per day, less than a third the price of a cup of roadside chai..

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor