World

Workers in Vietnam's Samsung factory charged over riot

DPA Hanoi | Updated on March 12, 2018

Construction workers in northern Vietnam were charged on Friday over a clash with police that left 13 people injured, some seriously, police said.

An estimated 4,000 workers attacked security forces Thursday near the under-construction Samsung plant in Thai Nguyen province, after a worker was reportedly beaten unconscious by a guard for trying to bring in his own food.

At least 10 suspects have been charged with damaging property and causing public disorder, an officer at the province’s police department told dpa on condition of anonymity.

Officers were watching footage of the event, and “summoning related people to get evidence,” he said.

Video posted on local media showed workers throwing rocks at riot police.

Thirteen people were injured including three policemen, and 22 motorbikes were set alight. Five of the civilian casualties suffered serious brain injuries from bricks, doctors said Friday.

Workers said there is no rule against bringing food on site.

Samsung called on the authorities to step up security measures, Doi Song and Phap Luat newspapers reported.

The $3.2 billion plant, under construction since last year, was to include the South Korean manufacturer’s largest mobile phone and digital camera factory.

It is to be Samsung’s second and largest plant in Vietnam, and expected to start operations this year.

Published on January 10, 2014

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor