NMDC re-evaluating agreement with Rio Tinto

PTI Mumbai | Updated on March 12, 2018

Mr. Rana Som , Chairman and Managing Director of NMDC. File Photo - P V SIVAKUMAR   -  Businessline

Government-owned miner NMDC is re-evaluating its two-year-old agreement with Anglo-Australian mining major Rio Tinto that envisaged working jointly on iron ore assets in India and overseas.

Rio Tinto, the world’s second-biggest iron ore producer, had inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with NMDC on August 18, 2008 to work jointly on iron ore assets in India and overseas. But there has been no movement on the ground so far.

“We plan to re-evaluate the agreement with Rio Tinto. We will meet with Rio Tinto officials soon to discuss the matter,” NMDC Chairman and Managing Director Mr Rana Som told PTI over phone.

Rio Tinto had also signed a joint venture agreement with Orissa Mining Corporation (OMC) in 1995 for exploration of the Malangtoli iron ore reserves in the state.

However, the JV - in which Rio Tinto was to hold a 51 per cent stake and OMC the remaining 49 per cent - did not get operationalised.

The Orissa Government is examining a fresh draft of a proposed agreement with the Anglo-Australian mining major for exploitation of iron ore deposits in the mineral-rich state.

“Draft for a fresh agreement is being examined by the Departments of Law and Finance. A decision on the issue will be taken after the final report is submitted,” Orissa’s Industries and Steel and Mines Minister Mr Raghunath Mohanty said by phone.

Published on January 30, 2011

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

You May Also Like