News

Chaos over Delhi University’s UG programme, VC resignation continues

NAVADHA PANDEY GARIMA SINGH New Delhi | Updated on March 12, 2018

Delhi University Vice-Chancellor Dinesh Singh

Matter lands up in High Court, as apex court refuses to intervene

Confusion continued over the fate of the controversial four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) in Delhi University (DU) amid protests, hunger strike by supporters of the programme and uncertainty over Vice-Chancellor Dinesh Singh’s resignation.

Meanwhile, a PIL was filed for restoration of the three-year degree course. The public interest litigation by advocate RK Kapoor sought early resolution to the “controversy”, saying, “Most of the university’s colleges are deferring admissions, leading to confusion among lakhs of aspirants...”

Earlier, the Supreme Court refused to intervene in the issue when a DU professor, Aditya Narain Mishra, challenged the UGC notification scrapping the FYUP, and asked him to move the High Court.

On Tuesday night, PTI tweeted that the UGC has issued a fresh directive to the DU asking it to issue letters to colleges for admitting students under three-year programme. PTI added that the UGC said that 57 out of 64 colleges under DU have informed they will be implementing three-year undergraduate programme.

Inception

The FYUP, a brain child of Vice-Chancellor Singh, had been introduced in the academic session 2013-14, during UPA-II’s tenure. While it had the backing of Kapil Sibal, the then HRD Minister, some Congress leaders, such as Jairam Ramesh had opposed it.

The BJP had promised to scrap FYUP in its election manifesto. Its student wing, ABVP, has also been vocal in its protest against FYUP of late.

Soon after, the BJP Government came to power at the Centre, the University Grants Commission (UGC), which had not raised objections to FYUP until recently, issued a series of notices asking the DU to revert to the three-year structure. While the varsity remained defiant, HRD Minister Smriti Irani refused to intervene in the matter.

On Tuesday afternoon, in the midst of the chaos, affecting over two-lakh students awaiting admission, the DU’s media coordinator Malay Neerav is said to have sent an SMS to media persons, saying “VC has resigned“.

When contacted by PTI, Neerav said: “I have been given only this much to reveal. I do not have any more details.” He remained inaccessible after a tweet by activist Madhu Kishwar saying the VC had not resigned, adding to the confusion.

A principal of a north Campus college, on the condition of anonymity, said:“The varsity’s media coordinator Malay Neerav had announced that Singh had resigned but hours later we heard that he had taken it back.” Admissions to this academic session have been postponed, with the DU Principal’s Association deferring the cut-off list till there were “unambiguous guidelines”.

FYUP illegal

But FYUP supporters stuck to their stand. Mishra, Former President of the Delhi University Teachers Association, said, “Our fight will continue even after Singh’s resignation. What is happening between the UGC and the DU is unfortunate.” Mishra is DU’s Executive Council member.

(With inputs from PTI)

Published on June 24, 2014

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

You May Also Like