Foreign scribes can visit Assam with MEA permit

Our Bureau New Delhi | Updated on September 04, 2019 Published on September 04, 2019

There is no protected or restricted area permit in the State, the release clarifies


The Ministry of External Affairs has clarified that foreign journalists, whether already based in India or not, can visit Assam after taking its permission.

The MEA will consult with the Ministry of Home Affairs before issuing a permit, according to an official release.

There is no protected area permit (PAP) or restricted area permit (RAP) in the State of Assam. “Thus, no PAP or RAP is needed by a foreign journalist,” it said.

The clarification follows reports that some foreign journalists in Assam were being asked to leave as they did not have the Centre’s permit.

An estimated 19 lakh people have been left out of the final National Register of Citizens in Assam and many of them face detention.

Published on September 04, 2019
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor