National

Pub attack case: Citizens' Forum asks govt to appeal verdict

AJ Vinayak Mangaluru | Updated on March 13, 2018 Published on March 13, 2018

Sri Rama Sene chief Pramod Muthalik (file pic)

The Citizens' Forum for Mangalore Development has urged the state government to appeal the judgement on the 2009 pub attack in Mangaluru.

On Monday, the Second Judicial Magistrate First Class court in Mangaluru had acquitted the Sri Rama Sene chief Pramod Muthalik and 25 others who were among the 30 accused in the pub attack case in Mangaluru in 2009.

Of the remaining accused, two died during the course of the trial and two are absconding and the case is pending against them.

According to the charge sheet, young men and women at a pub in Mangaluru were attacked on the night of January 24, 2009.

In a statement here, Vidya Dinker, coordinator of the forum, said the verdict was entirely unexpected and the forum had been hoping for the strictest punishment for the guilty as per law.

“We demand that the state government take measures to immediately appeal the present judgment and make every effort possible to prove the guilt of the accused and ensure legitimate punishment for them,” the statement said.

The present judicial outcome of acquittal of the accused will certainly send a wrong message to society that criminals can get away scot-free, it said, adding that young citizens who are picking up the courage to speak out and complain against immoral goons will be pushed into silence again.

 

Published on March 13, 2018
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor