World

India says ‘disappointed’ over Maldives poll impasse

Our Bureau New Delhi | Updated on November 24, 2017 Published on October 19, 2013

India has said that it is deeply disappointed that the repeat first round of the Presidential elections in Maldives was not held as scheduled today and that the Election Commission was not allowed to proceed with holding elections in line with its Constitutional mandate.

In a statement the Ministry of External Affairs said India and the international community have been closely watching developments in Maldives and are seriously concerned at attempts to stall the democratic process.

“It is for the people of Maldives to decide their future, and their strong desire to elect a new President is evident from the turnout of 88 per cent in the first round of elections held on September 7, this year which was considered free and fair by the large contingent of international and domestic observers present,” the statement adds.

The statement points out that keeping in mind the wishes and aspirations of the people of Maldives, who have so far shown admirable patience and restraint, it is important that the electoral process is put back on track immediately with a definite timeline so that a new President is elected and sworn in on November 11, 2013 as mandated by the constitution.

“India calls upon the Government of Maldives and all parties concerned to fulfil their responsibility towards the people of Maldives by playing a constructive role in the elections process and fully assisting the Election Commission in holding the Presidential elections without further delay. India also calls upon all parties to abjure violence and maintain calm,” the statement adds.

Published on October 19, 2013
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor