Mutual Funds

Your Fund Portfolio

Aarati Krishnan | Updated on December 16, 2018 Published on December 16, 2018

I am 49 years old and a first-time investor in mutual funds. I have a seven- to 10-year investment horizon with moderate risk appetite. I feel confused about all the options available. How shall I invest ₹12 lakh of my savings in mutual funds? Which funds shall I pick to initiate five monthly SIPs of ₹5,000 each for myself? To encourage the investing habit, please suggest SIPs of ₹10,000 each for my two children (in their early 20s), also with moderate risk. My only goal is to build a nest egg that counters inflation.

Lalitha Raman

As you are a first-time investor in mutual funds, it is best that you test the waters on market-linked investments before jumping right in. Your return experience with the first few funds you buy will decide whether you can stay the course with your investments through market ups and downs.

It will also allow you to gauge your true risk appetite.

It is never a good idea to invest a lump sum in an equity or equity-oriented fund, as any market decline after your investment will immediately decimate your capital. High stock valuations and a clouded stock market outlook make this a bad time to invest a lump sum in equities.

Therefore, we suggest that you invest the capital of ₹12 lakh in conservative hybrid funds. These funds invest over 75 per cent of their portfolio in bonds, with the remaining 25 per cent in stocks, which will provide a kicker to your returns.

We recommend Aditya Birla Sun Life Regular Savings Fund and UTI Regular Savings Fund, both of which stick to top-rated bonds and large-cap stocks.

The returns on such funds can dip when stock markets fall, and rise to double-digits when the markets do well, but they usually do not subject investors to a capital loss.

For your own monthly SIPs of ₹5,000 each, you can consider a combination of large-cap equity funds and aggressive hybrid funds.

Large-cap equity funds tend to suffer lower volatility in their returns than other equity fund categories.

Aggressive hybrid funds, which were earlier known as balanced funds, invest 65 per cent of their portfolio in stocks and the remaining 35 per cent in bonds.

Therefore, even in periods where the stock markets are falling or in a sideways crawl, aggressive hybrid funds do better than pure equity funds.

SIPs ensure that even if the starting point of your mutual fund investments is at a high market level, your subsequent instalments will get averaged out at lower prices and improve your long-term returns.

For your large-cap fund choices, we suggest SIPs in Aditya Birla Sun Life Focused Equity and HDFC Top 100.

In recent times, actively managed funds in the large-cap category have had trouble outperforming the indices.

Therefore, owning index funds which simply mirror the market also makes sense. We recommend a third SIP in either ICICI Prudential Nifty Next 50 Index (an open-end scheme you can buy from the fund house) or Reliance ETF Junior BEES (which you can buy from the stock exchange).

For your hybrid equity fund choices, do consider HDFC Hybrid Equity and ICICI Prudential Equity & Debt.

Your children in their 20s can afford to take more risks with their money than you. Therefore, multi-cap equity funds will be a good bet for their SIPs. We suggest SIPs in Mirae Asset India Equity and Franklin India Focused Equity.

Do note though that these are our fund choices based on the track record as of today.

Your portfolio will require periodic review, and the funds you own may need to be replaced if their performance lags for a sustained period.

Send your queries to mf@thehindu.co.in

Published on December 16, 2018

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill. Everyone has been impacted.

Including your favourite business and financial newspaper. Our printing and distribution chains have been severely disrupted across the country, leaving readers without access to newspapers. Newspaper delivery agents have also been unable to service their customers because of multiple restrictions.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine have been working continuously every day so that you are informed about all the developments – whether on the pandemic, on policy responses, or the impact on the world of business and finance. Our team has been working round the clock to keep track of developments so that you – the reader – gets accurate information and actionable insights so that you can protect your jobs, businesses, finances and investments.

We are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. We have also ensured that even if your paper is not delivered, you can access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute, so that you can access the information you want anywhere, anytime.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. Sustaining our quality journalism has become extremely challenging. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all or readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. Doing so is easy. You can help us enormously simply by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section that offers rich investment advice from our highly qualified, in-house Research Bureau, the only such team in the Indian newspaper industry.

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
You have read 1 out of 3 free articles for this week. For full access, please subscribe and get unlimited access to all sections.