Personal Finance

Only borrower can get rebate

Parizad Sirwalla | Updated on July 23, 2011 Published on July 23, 2011


My father had availed a loan of Rs 4.5 lakh from a bank in 2004 with my mother as co-applicant. In 2010, my father died. The onus of repaying the loan is with my mother. She is dependent on me and I am paying the EMI of Rs 5,640 a month.

Can I claim tax benefit on this loan amount? Can't my mother ask for a waiver of the pending loan as she is a homemaker and is not earning? The rate of interest is 15 per cent. Should I approach another bank for refinancing and try for a better deal?


To claim deduction on repayment of housing loan, income from house property should be chargeable to tax in the hands of the individual and loan should be repaid by the individual as a borrower. You would not be eligible for the deduction. You would be able to claim the tax benefit on housing loan repayment if you own or co-own the property and also become borrower or co-borrower of the loan and satisfy other conditions. For loan waiver, please refer the of the agreement.

I have a housing loan of Rs 5 lakh. The house is held jointly with my wife. If I pay an instalment from HUF, can I get deduction U/s 80c? Can I show the amount paid from HUF as a loan and claim or deduction U/s 80c?

Suresh Joshi

For claiming such a deduction, income from house property should be chargeable to tax in the hands of the individual as an owner and loan should be repaid by the individual as a borrower of loan.

Accordingly, as the income from such property is not chargeable to tax in the hands of the HUF and the HUF has not borrowed the loan, there will be no eligibility to claim deduction. Even if you show amount paid by HUF as a loan to you and HUF repays loan to the bank, the situation would be the same. Only when you being the borrower of loan make repayment, would you be eligible for deduction under section 80C.

My daughter and son-in-law are now NRIs. They own a flat in Coimbatore. I hold a general power of attorney in respect of the flat. I intend to rent out the flat for Rs 2 lakh annually. They have no other income. Is it compulsory to deduct tax at source from rent? Can I get exemption as there is no tax liability under Sec 195? Is there an NRI cell dealing with such cases? As my daughter and son-in-law left India in 2000 they do not have any details of their PAN numbers.

T.V. Ranganathan

As your daughter and son-in-law are non-residents in India, the person responsible to make such rental payments to them would be required to deduct tax at source while making the payment. If the tax deducted at source exceeds tax payable, they can claim refund. However, your daughter and son-in-law can obtain a certificate for NIL or lower rate of withholding tax by following the steps prescribed under the Act. In such case, the rental payments may be received without deduction. . However, please note that PAN is a pre-requisite for obtaining such certificate.

Mail your queries to

Published on July 23, 2011

A letter from the Editor

Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill. Everyone has been impacted.

Including your favourite business and financial newspaper. Our printing and distribution chains have been severely disrupted across the country, leaving readers without access to newspapers. Newspaper delivery agents have also been unable to service their customers because of multiple restrictions.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine have been working continuously every day so that you are informed about all the developments – whether on the pandemic, on policy responses, or the impact on the world of business and finance. Our team has been working round the clock to keep track of developments so that you – the reader – gets accurate information and actionable insights so that you can protect your jobs, businesses, finances and investments.

We are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. We have also ensured that even if your paper is not delivered, you can access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute, so that you can access the information you want anywhere, anytime.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. Sustaining our quality journalism has become extremely challenging. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all or readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. Doing so is easy. You can help us enormously simply by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section that offers rich investment advice from our highly qualified, in-house Research Bureau, the only such team in the Indian newspaper industry.

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
You have read 1 out of 3 free articles for this week. For full access, please subscribe and get unlimited access to all sections.