Policy

Copter services: Meghalaya says no to Pawan Hans

PTI Shillong | Updated on March 12, 2018 Published on July 29, 2011

The Meghalaya Government has rejected a proposal of Pawan Hans Helicopter Ltd to resume its services in the State which were suspended following the April 30 crash that killed former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu along with four others.

“Officials of the helicopter service approached us about a week back, but we have refused,” Transport Minister, Mr A.T. Mondal, said today.

Mr Mondal said despite the company’s assurance of providing new choppers, the Government was not convinced considering the past history of the service.

The State Government had earlier written to the Director-General of Civil Aviation to initiate a process for floating fresh tenders to rope in companies for operating choppers in the State.

“We are awaiting a response from the DGCA. The Airport Authority of India has also been asked to give suggestions. We would be also holding a meeting with IAF officials for technical help during the bidding process,” Mr Mondal said.

Along with Arunachal Pradesh, Tripura, Sikkim, Nagaland and Manipur, Meghalaya too had suspended operations of Pawan Hans after the April 30 crash.

Tripura and Sikkim have allowed the company to resume its services.

Published on July 29, 2011
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor