Death toll in Egypt clashes climbs to 42; over 700 injured

PTI Cairo | Updated on January 28, 2013 Published on January 28, 2013

The death toll in fierce clashes in Egypt rose to 42 with over 700 injured as President Muhammed Mursi today declared emergency in riot-hit towns after fresh violence erupted during the funeral of the people killed in unrest triggered by death sentence given to 21 football fans.

Mursi declared a 30-day state of emergency in Port Said, Suez and Ismailia, the three governorates which have witnessed deadly clashes since the second anniversary of the Egyptian revolution on January 25.

“I have said I am against any emergency measures but I have said that if I must stop bloodshed and protect the people then I will act,” Mursi said.

He warned that he was ready to take further measures if the deadly violence did not end.

“If I must I will do much more for the sake of Egypt. This is my duty and I will not hesitate,” the President said.

Mursi also invited the Egyptian Opposition leaders for talks tomorrow.

The bodies, wrapped in white shrouds, were carried in open coffins along the main avenue of Port Said, an Egyptian canal city, during which a brief burst of gunfire set off chaotic scenes that later degenerated into rioting.

Seven persons were killed today and more than 400 injured in the city when unidentified gunmen opened fire at the funeral of the people killed in violence after a court had yesterday handed down the death penalty to 21 fans for a post-match riot.

Live ammunition, birdshot and tear gas were responsible for most of the injuries. Eyewitnesses claim to have seen masked groups shooting security troops in Police Club Square during the funeral procession.

Condemning the clashes that had left over 300 people injured yesterday, the Presidency called for a national dialogue in the wake of the ongoing unrest.

The Presidency’s statement came as the Health Ministry said the death toll in the fierce clashes between protesters and security forces in Port Said had climbed to 42, with seven people, including an 18-year-old boy, killed in violence today.

Published on January 28, 2013
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor