Money & Banking

Life insurers’ new biz premium in June jumps 94% to ₹32,241 cr

PTI New Delhi | Updated on July 14, 2019 Published on July 14, 2019

With this high growth in business, the market share of the Life Insurance Corporation of India increased to 74 per cent. The remaining 26 per cent has been shared by rest of the 23 private sector players operating in the space.

LIC recorded two-fold rise in its new premium collection to ₹ 26,030.16 crore

Led by LIC, life insurers’ collective new premium income jumped 94 per cent to ₹32,241.33 crore in June this year, according to data from Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority.

All the 24 life insurers had written new gross premium of ₹16,611.57 in the same month a year ago.

The country’s largest life insurer LIC, which is the only state-owned life insurance firm, witnessed more than two-fold rise in its new premium collection to ₹26,030.16 crore in June, from ₹11,167.82 crore in the same period last year.

With this high growth in business, the market share of the insurance behemoth increased to 74 per cent. Remaining 26 per cent has been shared by rest of the 23 private sector players operating in the space.

During the month, LIC sold 13.32 lakh policies to collect over ₹25,000 crore in just one month.

Private players performance

Private sector players witnessed an increase of 14.10 per cent in their collective new year business premium at ₹6,211.17 crore in June, as compared to ₹5,443.75 crore collected in the year-ago month.

Among the private players, HDFC Life’s new premium rose by 21 per cent year-on-year at ₹1,358.45 crore; SBI Life up 28.14 per cent at 1,310.07 crore; ICICI Prudential Life up 26 per cent at ₹897.98 crore; Bajaj Allianz up 51 per cent at ₹468.51 crore; Max Life up 16 per cent at ₹421.87 crore; Kotak Mahindra Life up 8 per cent at ₹291.89 crore and Tata AIA Life posted 90.26 per cent rise to ₹258.95 crore in June.

India First Life business premium fell 54 per cent to ₹119.31 crore; DHFL Pramerica Life by 65 per cent to ₹48.87 crore; Aditya Birla Sun Life by 40 per cent to ₹212.46 crore; and Reliance Nippon Life by 6.84 per cent to ₹66.81 crore.

Cumulatively, the new premium generated by all the 24 life insurers during April-June period of this fiscal rose by 65 per cent to ₹60,637.22 crore.

The April-June, 2019-20 new premium income of LIC increased by 82 per cent to ₹44,794.78 crore.

The remaining private sector players’ collective cumulative fresh premium rose by 32 per cent to ₹15,842.44 crore in the first quarter of the current fiscal.

Published on July 14, 2019
  1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu Business Line editorial team.
  2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
  3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters, or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text. (example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not 'the', n is not 'and').
  4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
  5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.