Financial Planning

| Updated on September 09, 2018

Suresh Parthsarathy

I was working as an accountant in the Gulf, but lost my job recently. Since I am 48, most of the companies I approach are not keen to pay a decent salary. My daughter is in the second year of B. Com. Let me know if I can manage with my available funds to lead a comfortable life in a Tier II city.

Maheshwaran (Name changed on request)

Solutions: With the current funds, you can lead a reasonable life till 75, provided,you do proper asset allocation and invest your money. However, to beat the shortfall, you can sell your property and live in a rental house. When your income is almost nil, it is not wise to keep such big amounts in the savings bank account for eight months. Open a fixed deposit account and transfer the money. As interest rates are going up, invest ₹20 lakh in company deposits with good rating, which can earn 8.5 per cent annual return.

Out of the rest, set aside ₹1 lakh for your daughter’s final year studies. Invest the balance in mutual funds, predominantly in balanced and large-cap funds.

If the mutual fund delivers 12 per cent return, your equity investment will be worth around ₹33 lakh by the time your daughter gets married.

Utilise ₹13 lakh for marriage. If you have a shortfall in meeting monthly expenses, withdraw through the systematic withdrawal plan to meet the family expenses.

Increase your health cover by ₹3 lakh.

I suggest you take up a job now, even if the salary is less than your expectation.

If you can just meet the monthly expenses from your salary for the next 5-10 years, you will be in a position to bequeath the house to your daughter; also, going to work will keep you fit.

The writer is investment advisor and founder Send your queries to

Published on September 09, 2018

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor