Statistical highlights of the third day’s play in the first cricket Test between India and South Africa here:
* Cheteshwar Pujara is the first Indian batsman to post three hundreds in Tests in 2013.
* Pujara’s first century (135 not out off 221 balls) on foreign soil is his first against South Africa.
* Pujara became the first Indian player to hit six centuries in just 26 innings in Tests.
* Pujara is averaging 88.62 in eleven innings in Tests this year — his tally being 709, including three hundreds and two fifties.
* South Africa (244) have recorded their second lowest score vs India at Johannesburg, next only to the 84 in December 2006.
* Murali Vijay (39) has posted his highest score in seven innings against South Africa in Tests, bettering the 32 at Nagpur in February 2010.
* With Shikhar Dhawan’s catch, Jacques Kallis became the leading fielder (118) in 87 Tests at home, eclipsing Mahela Jayawardene’s tally of 117 in 77.
* For the second time, Virat Kohli has posted a hundred and a fifty (119 & 77 not out) in the same Test match. He had first accomplished the feat vs New Zealand at Bangalore in 2012 — 103 and 51.
* Kohli became the second Indian batsman to record a hundred and a fifty in the same Test match against South Africa in South Africa. Rahul Dravid was the first to accomplish the feat at Johannesburg in January 1997 — 148 & 81.
* Vernon Philander (59 off 86 balls) has posted his third Test fifty. He became the second batsman after Mark Boucher (two) to record a fifty while batting at number eighth position against India in Tests.
* Du Plessis and Philander shared a stand of 80 — South Africa’s highest for the seventh wicket against India at Johannesburg.
* For the 11th time, the Indian speedsters have claimed all ten wickets in a Test innings — the last instance was in the 2011—12 Cape Town Test against South Africa.
* Zaheer Khan’s performance of 4 for 88 is his second best vs South Africa in Tests behind the 4 for 62 at Cape Town in January 2007.
* Since claiming four for 59 vs England at Leeds in 2011, Ishant has captured four wickets in an innings for the first time.
* Ishant produced his best bowling performance vs South Africa in Tests.
* Vernon Philander has set a South African bowling record by claiming his 100th wicket in his 19th Test, eclipsing Dale Steyn’s feat of recording the milestone in 20 Tests.
* The record of reaching 100 wickets in least number of Tests is held by England’s George Lohmann, who had registered the feat in only 16 Tests.
* Pujara and Kohli have shared an unbroken stand of 191 — India’s highest third-wicket stand vs South Africa in South Africa, bettering the 176 between Gautam Gambhir and Sachin Tendulkar at Cape Town in January 2011.
* It is the second highest third—wicket stand for India vs South Africa behind the 249 between Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar at Kolkata in February 2010.