Variety

Zack Snyder cut of ‘Justice League’ to finally come out on HBO Max in 2021

PTI Los Angeles | Updated on May 21, 2020 Published on May 21, 2020

Zach Snyders cut of Justice League   -  Twitter via HBO Max (@hbomax)

The prayers of DC fans have finally been answered as Warner Bros has announced that it will be releasing the mythical ‘Snyder-cut’ version of its superhero movie “Justice League” on HBO Max.

The film featured an ensemble cast of Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Jason Momoa as Aquaman, Ezra Miller as The Flash and Ray Fisher as Cyborg.

The unreleased version will debut on the streamer in 2021. The announcement was made by the film’s director Zack Snyder during the live Q&A on Wednesday, following a virtual screening of Cavill-led film “Man of Steel“.

DC Extended Universe (DCEU) fans have been petitioning the studio time and again to release the original cut of the 2017 film from Snyder.

The filmmaker, who had previously helmed “Man of Steel” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice”, had left “Justice League” during the post-production due to a family tragedy.

The studio had then roped in Joss Whedon, best known for Marvel tentpole “The Avengers” and its follow-up “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, to oversee the post-production as well as the film’s reshoots.

However, many people believe that Whedon had toned down the film, making it totally different from the one envisioned by Snyder. The film ultimately went on to perform moderately at the box office.

People’s reactiosn to the announcement

In a statement, released by Warner Bros’ parent company WarnerMedia, Snyder thanked the studio for deciding to release his version of the movie.

“I want to thank HBO Max and Warner Brothers for this brave gesture of supporting artists and allowing their true visions to be realised. Also a special thank you to all of those involved in the SnyderCut movement for making this a reality,” the filmmaker said.

Toby Emmerich, Chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, said, “Thanks to the efforts of a lot people, we’re excited to bring fans this highly anticipated version of ’Justice League’ This feels like the right time to share Zack’s story, and HBO Max is the perfect platform for it. We’re glad the creative planets aligned, allowing us to #ReleaseTheSnyderCut.”

On social media, Cavill, Momoa and Fisher lauded the studio for its decision.

“Ladies and Gents, it finally happened. The Snyder cut will be out next year! Now, I know there have been two camps over the whole Snyder Cut thing and whether it will ever happen for a while.

“Just remember, we all get to have more Justice League now, it’s a win win. So, be nice to each other. Big congratulations to you, Mr Snyder,” Cavill wrote in a post on Instagram.

Momoa, who has been the most vocal in petitioning for the release of Snyder cut, also celebrated the news on Instagram.

“WE WANT finally it’s happening. your welcome. justice served. all my aloha to everyone who made this happen. all the fans. we love you. ALOHA J” he posted.

In his post, Fisher wrote, “For those who fought. For those who believed. Thank you.”

Published on May 21, 2020

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill. Everyone has been impacted.

Including your favourite business and financial newspaper. Our printing and distribution chains have been severely disrupted across the country, leaving readers without access to newspapers. Newspaper delivery agents have also been unable to service their customers because of multiple restrictions.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine have been working continuously every day so that you are informed about all the developments – whether on the pandemic, on policy responses, or the impact on the world of business and finance. Our team has been working round the clock to keep track of developments so that you – the reader – gets accurate information and actionable insights so that you can protect your jobs, businesses, finances and investments.

We are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. We have also ensured that even if your paper is not delivered, you can access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute, so that you can access the information you want anywhere, anytime.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. Sustaining our quality journalism has become extremely challenging. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all or readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. Doing so is easy. You can help us enormously simply by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section that offers rich investment advice from our highly qualified, in-house Research Bureau, the only such team in the Indian newspaper industry.

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
  1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu Business Line editorial team.
  2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
  3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters, or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text. (example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not 'the', n is not 'and').
  4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
  5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.
You have read 1 out of 3 free articles for this week. For full access, please subscribe and get unlimited access to all sections.