Companies

Bajaj Auto motorcycle sales down 5% in May; stock falls 4.2%

Coimbatore | Updated on March 12, 2018 Published on June 03, 2013

A file photo of Pulsar 135LS   -  Business Line

Two-wheeler major Bajaj Auto Ltd has posted a 5 per cent decline in motorcycle sales during May compared to the same month last year apparently because of the slowdown in exports.

But what has been positive for the company was the sharp pick-up in the sales of commercial vehicles.

However, the stock was the biggest loser among the Sensex stocks shedding 4.2 per cent to trade at Rs 1,746.10.

According to the data available on the stock exchanges, motorcycle sales stood at 3,04,780 units compared with 3,21,922 units, a decline of 5 per cent.

But the company recorded a 3 per cent jump in domestic motorcycle sales year-on-year to 2,12,129 units against 2,06,751 units because of the launch of new Discover models.

Commercial vehicles

But the commercial vehicles sales witnessed a robust growth of 14 per cent to 34,568 units in May 2013 (30,297 in May 2012).

But the total vehicles sales was down at 3,39,348 units (3,52,219) mainly with exports sustaining a 14 per cent fall to 1,11,835 units (1,30,573 units).

Fiscal data

In the first two months of the current fiscal, Bajaj Auto saw a 9 per cent fall in its motorcycle sales to 6,05,607 units from 6,64,246 units in the same period in 2012-13.

But the commercial vehicles sales jumped by 12 per cent to 77,919 units (69,563). Total sales fell to 6,83,526 units (7,33,809 units), down by 7 per cent. The exports took a major knock-down by 19 per cent to 2,42,164 units in April-May this year compared with 2,99,583 units in the same period last year.

The stock lost Rs 65.85 or 3.60 per cent to trade at Rs 1,757 on the BSE around 11 a.m., emerging as the biggest BSE Sensex loser in percentage terms.

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

Published on June 03, 2013
null
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor