Logistics

Blueline licences not to be renewed: HC

Press Trust of India New Delhi | Updated on March 03, 2011 Published on March 03, 2011

Blueline Bus which ran over seventeen pedestrians, of which seven were killed, in New Delhi. (file photo): V.V. Krishnan   -  Business Line

The Delhi High Court today said that the permits of ‘killer' blueline buses here will not be renewed after their expiry and asked the NCT Government to implement the cluster bus scheme to ensure a hassle-free public transport system.

A division bench headed by Mr Justice A.K. Sikri said that despite the expiry of permits of 1,700 blueline buses in recent times, the commuters have not faced major difficulty.

On whether the blueline operators have got a right to renew licences, the bench said, “The answer is negative.”

The court accepted the submission of the Delhi government that various modes of transport systems, including Metro rail facility, low-floor buses, the gramin sewa vehicles and Metro feeder service were available for the commuters and they faced no difficulty in the absence of blueline buses.

“There is no requirement of blueline buses on city roads. Keeping in view the changing scenario, there is no reason to extend the permits of the blueline buses,” the court held.

It, however, allowed 328 blueline buses to ply on the roads till the expiry of their permits.

Fiat to govt

The bench directed the government to implement the cluster system in a time-bound manner.

It also directed the city government to frame guidelines to systematise and streamline the public transport system by accepting the suggestions given by the amicus curiae in this case.

During the course of hearing, amicus curiae and senior counsel Mr Kailash Vasudev had suggested that drivers should be well-trained before they get into the service.

It was also suggested that at a time not more than three buses should halt at a bus stop. He had also suggested that the Delhi police should monitor the traffic in the manner they did during the Commonwealth Games last year.

Taking suo motu cognisance of a fatal accident in 2007 involving a blueline bus in which eight persons lost their lives, the High Court had directed the city government to phase out the blueline buses and replace them with low-floor buses.

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

Published on March 03, 2011
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor