Over recent years, the gaming industry has been on-par with the entertainment industry when it comes to global count.
Launched in 2011, Twitch is one such game streaming platform that is contributing to the boom. Twitch, backed by Amazon, is a real-time online game streaming platform, available for different devices.
According to a report by Statista, the provider of gaming video content (GVC) Twitch had about 7.03 million active streamers, as of December 2022.
List of most watched games by total hour
- Overwatch 1 and 2: Released in 2016, the original gameplay Overwatch is a team-oriented multi-player video game.
- Overwatch was developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment. Overwatch divides players into two teams of six, with each player selecting from a huge list of characters with unique abilities, known as “heroes”. Teams are tasked with completing map-specific objectives within the time limit.
- Overwatch is a free game, with the only cost to players being optional loot boxes to purchase cosmetic items. The game received applause from critics for its unique cartoonish art styles.
- The total hours spent on Overwatch on Twitch stood at 42.6 million in December 2022.
- Apex Legends: Apex Legends was launched in 2019 by Electronics Arts. The game is a free-to-play battle royale-hero shooter game. Apex Legends supports cross-platform play, excluding the aforementioned mobile platforms.
- In this game, the players form into two- or three-player squads, and select from pre-designed characters with strong abilities, known as “ Legends”. The game is themed around two gameplay modes.
- In “ Battle Royale”, up to 20 three-person squads or 30 two-person duos land on an island and search for weapons and supplies before attempting to defeat others in the combat.
- In “ Arenas”, players form into three-player squads and fight against another squad in a 3-vs-3 team deathmatch over a series of rounds. Teams win when their team has at least 3 points and is 2 points ahead.
- The total hours spend on Apex Legend on Twitch streaming was 33.6 million in December 2022.
- World of Warcraft: Blizzard Entertainment published World of Warcraft 2004, a multi-player online role-playing game. The game is set in the Warcraft fantasy universe, taking place in the world of Azeroth.
- World of Warcraft allows players to create a character avatar and explore an open game world in both third- or first-person view, exploring the landscape, fighting various monsters, completing tasks, and interacting with non-player characters (NPCs) or other players.
- On the other hand, the game can also be played solo without interacting with others.
- The total hours spent on the Twitch platform was 73.8 million as of December 2022.
- Grand Theft Auto V: Grand Theft Auto V was released in 2013 by Rockstar Games. The game can be played from a third-person or first-person perspective as a single player. GTA-V is an action-adventure-based game.
- The game is set in the fictional state of San Andreas, based on Southern California, the story follows three protagonists — retired bank robber Michael De Santa, street gangster Franklin Clinton, and drug dealer and gunrunner Trevor Philip, and their plan to conduct a heist while under pressure from a corrupted government agency and criminals.
- Total hours users spent on Twitch streaming the game stood at 95.9 million as of December 2022.
- Valorant: One of the most popular games in recent times, Valorant was published in 2020 by Riot Games. It is a free-to-play first-person hero shooter.
- Valorant is inspired by the Counter-Strike series of tactical shooters, borrowing several mechanics — buy menu, spray patterns, and inaccuracy while moving. Valorant, a team-based first-person tactical hero shooter, is themed on the future.
- Gamers play as one of a set of agents, characters based on several countries and cultures around the world. In the main game mode, players are assigned to either attack or defend a team with five players on each team.
- Twitch users spent 63.1 million hours in December 2022 streaming the game on the platform.
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of TheHindu Businessline and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.