Economy

‘Corporate social responsibility is not just spending 2% of profits’

Our Bureau Visakhapatnam | Updated on March 25, 2013 Published on March 25, 2013

It is not enough for companies to spend the mandatory 2 per cent of their net profit on corporate social responsibility projects and they must also display social sensitivity and responsibility in earning the remaining 98 per cent of profits as well, according to R. Shankar, Executive Director of the Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd (the Visakhapatnam Steel Plant).

He was speaking as the chief guest at the inaugural of a two-day national seminar on Gandhi's trusteeship concept and the corporate social responsibility organised by the Gayatri Vidya Parishad here on Monday.

He said the concept of CSR would really become meaningful only “when the customer evaluates the product based on the producer’s track record of social sensitivity, corporate social responsibility.”

For instance, he said if a company's activities cause damage to the environment it will be of no use even if it spends the mandatory 2 per cent or more on CSR.

He said there was a sea change in the way CSR activities of a company were being evaluated now.

The senior officials of the State Bank of India, who had visited Visakhapatnam Steel Plant to hand over the formal letter advancing a large loan to the company recently, were keen on the kind of impact RINL's CSR activity had on people.

He said, “All the senior management and directors of the public sector units have to sign an annual statement of fiduciary responsibility which actually binds the officials to work as trustees of public resources. This is the concept of Gandhiji’s trusteeship, but unfortunately officials treat the annual statement as a mere formality and merely append their signatures to it. They do not for once realise that they have committed themselves to the role and should live up to it.”

Companies should be ready to spend a quarter of their net profit on socially relevant activity, former Vice-Chancellor of Acharya Nagarjuna University V. Bala Mohan Das said.

Prof. Prasanna Kumar, former rector of Andhra University, said Gandhiji's teachings could be interpreted in different ways, but there was no doubt about the relevance of his concepts like trusteeship and the concept of CSR could be related to it in a meaningful way.

sarma.rs@thehindu.co.in

Published on March 25, 2013

A letter from the Editor


Dear Readers,

The coronavirus crisis has changed the world completely in the last few months. All of us have been locked into our homes, economic activity has come to a near standstill. Everyone has been impacted.

Including your favourite business and financial newspaper. Our printing and distribution chains have been severely disrupted across the country, leaving readers without access to newspapers. Newspaper delivery agents have also been unable to service their customers because of multiple restrictions.

In these difficult times, we, at BusinessLine have been working continuously every day so that you are informed about all the developments – whether on the pandemic, on policy responses, or the impact on the world of business and finance. Our team has been working round the clock to keep track of developments so that you – the reader – gets accurate information and actionable insights so that you can protect your jobs, businesses, finances and investments.

We are trying our best to ensure the newspaper reaches your hands every day. We have also ensured that even if your paper is not delivered, you can access BusinessLine in the e-paper format – just as it appears in print. Our website and apps too, are updated every minute, so that you can access the information you want anywhere, anytime.

But all this comes at a heavy cost. As you are aware, the lockdowns have wiped out almost all our entire revenue stream. Sustaining our quality journalism has become extremely challenging. That we have managed so far is thanks to your support. I thank all our subscribers – print and digital – for your support.

I appeal to all or readers to help us navigate these challenging times and help sustain one of the truly independent and credible voices in the world of Indian journalism. Doing so is easy. You can help us enormously simply by subscribing to our digital or e-paper editions. We offer several affordable subscription plans for our website, which includes Portfolio, our investment advisory section that offers rich investment advice from our highly qualified, in-house Research Bureau, the only such team in the Indian newspaper industry.

A little help from you can make a huge difference to the cause of quality journalism!

Support Quality Journalism
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
You have read 1 out of 3 free articles for this week. For full access, please subscribe and get unlimited access to all sections.